Cape Town Tourism this week unveiled Thando 3, its third mobile visitor information centre (VIC). The mobile VIC is the first of its kind in Africa.
Alderman James Vos (the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management), Enver Duminy, (the CEO of Cape Town Tourism) and the Cape Town Tourism visitor services team were there to cut the ribbon.
Thando is another initiative from Cape Town Tourism to provide visitor information in creative ways, and using technology. Thando, which means ‘love’ in IsiXhosa, can go out to meet travellers and locals wherever they are. Thando 3 has the flexibility to support any event whether outdoors or indoors.
Alderman Vos was blown away by Thando 3. Because of its solar panels, the service team can function wherever they are. Thando 3 is
manned by a determined, passionate and capable team who can respond to any tourism enquiry.
Thando 3 offers the following exciting services:
- Free information brochures regarding tourism in Cape Town and the surrounding areas
- Free distribution of the Cape Town Visitor’s Guide that contains a wealth of information on Cape Town’s new activities, hotspots, and a variety of free vouchers to use at various places in the city which are valid for the year
- Booking services for accommodation, car hire, tours, activities and transfers
- SANParks reservations as well as My Green Cards and My Activity Cards
- Ticketing services such as Webtickets and Computicket
- Free Wi-Fi in the proximity of the vehicle
- Sale of specialised maps and Cape Town Tourism products
The economic impact and contribution of the tourism industry is of vital importance for the continued growth and development of our city. It is even more important that we continue to provide services and facilities that will continue to attract tourists to our beautiful city. Our commitment is to take services to residents and visitors. The deployment of Thando mobile VICs will help us to achieve this,’ said Alderman Vos.