The white paper on responsible tourism requires the sector to promote responsible tourism practices with a view to maximize economic, social and environmental benefits and minimize costs to the destination and as well as improve local economies.
Participants at the road shows will be afforded an opportunity to learn more about resource saving measures and those who comply with the energy saving requirements will be incentivised. The focus of the road shows will be on the green economy, waste management in tourism, water conservation and demand management, energy efficiency in tourism, universal accessibility and climate change.
The first phase of the road shows will target the following provinces:
- Western Cape on October 5 in Knysna, October 6 in Worcester and on October 7 in Cape Town
- Kwazulu Natal on July 5 in Richards Bay
- Limpopo on July 27 in Polokwane and July 28 in Nylstroom
- Mpumalanga on August 17 in Ehlanzeni and August 18 in Hazyview
- Gauteng on October 26 in Johannesburg and on the West Rand on October 27
Enquiries can be referred to Lizzy Suping at the National Department of Tourism on 012 310 3310 or 083 758 0553 or at email@example.com