If you want to get involved in RT in Cape Town, please visit the Get Involved section of this website.
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES
More information on market research, guidelines and government policies and strategies and other useful materials can be accessed from this section.
Many other organisations conduct research and provide market intelligence about subjects related to responsible tourism. In this section, you can find links to the various surveys and information sources.
- Responsible Travel Trends & Statistics – CREST (2014)
- Consumer Segmentation: Netherlands – Fair Trade Tourism (2013)
- Consumer Segmentation: Sweden – Fair Trade Tourism (2013)
- Consumer Segmentation: Switzerland- Fair Trade Tourism (2013)
- Ethical Consumer Markets Report – Co-operative Group (2013)
- Ethical Consumer Markets Report – Co-operative Group (2012)
- TUI Travel Sustainability Survey – TUI Travel PLC (2012)
- Ethical Consumer Report – Co-operative Group (2011)
- Ethical Consumer Report – Co-operative Group (2010)
- UK consumer views of sustainable tourism – VisitEngland (2010)
- Canadian consumer views on sustainable tourism – TNS Canada (2008)
- RT and Consumer Trends (2003)
- Consumer Survey – Tearfund (2000)
- Tour Operator Survey – Tearfund (2001)
A range of tools and information are available to tourism businesses to help apply responsible business practices in their operations. The list below is a small selection of guidelines produced for South Africa businesses or by authoritative industry organisations.
- A guide to the label jungle – Ecotrans (2014)
- Keep it Real Marketing Toolkit – Fair Trade Tourism (2014)
- Smart Events Handbook – City of Cape Town (2010)
- “How To” Guides – Overseas Development Institute (2005)
- Supplier Sustainability Handbook – Federation of Tour Operators (2006)
- A Simple Users Guide to Certification for Sustainable Tourism – CESD (2006)
- A management guide for Responsible Tour Operations – Tour Operator’s Initiative and UNEP (2005)
- Responsible Tourism Handbook – DEAT (2003)
Declarations, Policies & Strategies
A collection of the key global and South African declarations and policy and strategic documents.
Useful Links / Related Sites
Visit these websites to learn more about responsible tourism in other places and link to organisations with helpful information.
- Centre for Responsible Travel
- Global Partnership for Sustainable Tourism
- Global Sustainable Tourism Council
- International Centre for Responsible Tourism
- International Centre for Responsible Tourism – Canada
- International Centre for Responsible Tourism – Ireland
- Better Tourism Africa
- International Tourism Partnership
- National Department of Tourism
- Responsible Tourism Partnership
- Sustainable Tourism Online
- Sustainable Tourism Partnership Programme
- Tour Operator Initiative for Sustainable Development (TOI)
- UNWTO Sustainable Development of Tourism